Peacham in Caledonia County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Caledonia County Grammar School
Caledonia County was set out from Orange County in 1792. Peacham chose to provide a County grammar school rather than a courthouse. The Caledonia County Grammar School (Peacham Academy) was chartered in 1795, the third County grammar school in Vermont. Classes commenced in 1797. Thaddeus Stevens, abolitionist and Pennsylvania Representative to the US Congress, and George B.M. Harvey, Ambassador to Great Britain, were among the notable persons educated here. Over 3000 students from Peacham and other towns, states and countries attended Peacham Academy. The school closed in 1971. The Academy building burned in 1976.
Erected 2005 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 44° 19.671′ N, 72° 10.183′ W. Marker is in Peacham, Vermont, in Caledonia County. Marker is on Bayley-Hazen Road 0.1 miles south of Church Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Peacham VT 05862, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Greenbank's Hollow (approx. 4.2 miles away); James Whitehill Stone House (approx. 4.3 miles away); Thaddeus Stevens Henry Stevens / Henry Stevens, Jr. (approx. 6.4 miles away); The Comerford Development at Fifteen Mile Falls (approx. 6.8 miles away); First American Platform Scale (approx. 9.4 miles away); St. Johnsbury Trade School (approx. 9.4 miles away); St. Johnsbury Athenaeum (approx. 9.6 miles away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 337 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 4, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.