Newington in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
General Prevost, cleverly masking his troop movements, left Hudson`s Ferry March 1st, 1779 with 1500 of His Majesty`s best troops. He encircled General Ashe`s Continentals and North Carolina Militia of 2300 men at the Freeman-Miller Bridge, attacked them from the rear and practically destroyed them.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 35.333′ N, 81° 30.185′ W. Marker is in Newington, Georgia, in Screven County. Marker is on Railroad Avenue/Savannah Highway (Georgia Route 21) west of Walton Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newington GA 30446, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. North Newington Baptist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Middle Ground Baptist Church The Confederate Line (approx. 5 miles away); Sherman's Advance (approx. 8.8 miles away); Washington Slept Here (approx. 9.1 miles away); New Hope Methodist Church (approx. 9.9 miles away); Old Mount Pleasant (approx. 10.8 miles away); Cooperville (approx. 11.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for General Augustine Prevost. Prévost assumed command and defended the town that year from a combined French and Continental force in an action that came to be known as the Siege of Savannah. (Submitted on May 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Military • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,087 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 6, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.