Sylvania in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In a companion Act the first county court officials were named as follows: Justices of Peace; Nathaniel Hudson, John Greene, Jr., Benjamin Richardson, Samuel Dunn, Robert Stafford, Luke Mizell, McKeen Greene, James Bevil, Joseph Plumer, Robert Williamson, Samuel Bird, John Loney, James Bird, James William, James H. Rutherford, Daniel Blackburn and William Pearce, Esquires.
The Justices of the Inferior Court named in the Act creating Screven County were: Benjamin Lanier, Caleb Howell, Lemuel Lanier, Paul Bevil and Drury Jones. In the first election held in Screven County, January 20th, 1794, the following officers were elected:
Sheriff, William Coursey; Clerk of the Superior Court, Thomas Hylton; Clerk of the Inferior Court, Robert Williams; Surveyor, Robert Stafford; Register of Probate, Lemuel Lanier; and Coroner, William Briger.
Erected 1952 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-6.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is on the west side of the Town Square. Marker is in this post office area: Sylvania GA 30467, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sylvania (here, next to this marker); Wesleyanna Memorial Church (approx. 4 miles away); The 14th Corps (approx. 5.4 miles away); The Goodall House (approx. 5.4 miles away); Washington's Route (approx. 5.4 miles away); John Abbot (approx. 5.4 miles away); Jacksonboro (approx. 5.4 miles away); Washington Slept Here (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sylvania.
Also see . . . Official website of the Screven County Chamber of Commerce. (Submitted on May 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,312 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 19, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.