Sutton in Clay County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Soldier's Monument
By 1890, 448 Union veterans lived in Clay County. In 1894 the Union Soldiers' Monument and Memorial Association of Sutton was formed to erect a monument to veterans. The association petitioned the government for surplus cannon and received two 24-pounder flank howitzers cast by Cyrus Alger and Company of Boston in 1863.
The howitzers arrived from Fort Montgomery, N.Y., in 1900. In 1909, a granite base was laid that included the names of area Civil War veterans, but the monument was never finished. In 2001 a bronze statue of a Civil War soldier, commissioned and paid for by community members, completed the monument.
Erected by Civil War Memorial Completion Committee and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 422.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 36.599′ N, 97° 51.563′ W. Marker is in Sutton, Nebraska, in Clay County. Marker is at the intersection of North Saunders Avenue and East Cedar Street, on the right when traveling north on North Saunders Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sutton NE 68979, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Sutton (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 310 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 15, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.