Near Petaluma in Sonoma County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Seen through the porthole is the site of Donahue Landing, built by industrialist Peter Donahue in 1870 as the southern terminus for his SF&NP Railroad. Situated here were a roundhouse and turntable, depot, repair and carpenter shops, hotel, saloon, school house, two laundries, combined stable and dance hall, and dwellings. The town flourished for fourteen years as a water-rail transfer point. When SF&NP's new line from Petaluma to Tiburon Point was completed in 1884, the turntable and facilities were dismantled and moved to Tiburon. Only two buildings, the stable and
Erected 1995 by Nicasio Parlor No. 183, NSGW.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 11.834′ N, 122° 32.764′ W. Marker is near Petaluma, California, in Sonoma County. Marker is on Lakeville Highway 1.1 miles south of Stage Gulch Road (California Route 116), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5657 Lakeville Highway, Magalia CA 95954, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rancho Olompali (approx. 3.4 miles away); Camilo Ynitia’s Adobe (approx. 3.4 miles away); Burdell Mansion (approx. 3.4 miles away); Galen and Mary Burdell (approx. 3.4 miles away); Burdell Frame House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Setting for a Colorful Past (approx. 3.5 miles away); Vallejo's Petaluma Adobe (approx. 4.5 miles away); Mission San Francisco Solano de Sonoma (approx. 4.9 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 18, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 18, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.