Killington in Rutland County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
State's second highest peak
—scene of christening legend —
Southward appears the summit of Mt. Killington, once called Pisgah, on which Rev. Samuel Peters claimed he christened the wilderness with the name "Verd-mont" in 1763. Most historians give credit to Dr. Thomas Young’s letter "to the inhabitants of 'Vermont'", sent to Windsor in 1777.
Erected 1949 by Vermont Historic Sites Commission.
Location. 43° 39.359′ N, 72° 47.378′ W. Marker is in Killington, Vermont, in Rutland County. Marker is on Killington Road 1.2 miles south of U.S. 4, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Killington VT 05751, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Vincent (approx. 4.9 miles away); Edward Hastings Ripley (approx. 6.9 miles away); Achsa W. Sprague (1827-1862) (approx. 8.9 miles away); Capt. John Coolidge Flagpole (approx. 8.9 miles away); Brown Bridge (approx. 9 miles away); Plymouth WW1 Memorial (approx. 9 miles away); Calvin Coolidge (approx. 9 miles away); Calvin Coolidge Homestead (approx. 9 miles away).
Categories. • Colonial Era • Landmarks •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 259 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 21, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.