Irwin in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This stockade, enclosing a blockhouse and several buildings, was built by the pioneers of the Brush Creek community on the plantation of Christopher Walthour. It was the chief place of refuge and defense of the early settlers for more than a decade against the frequent Indian raids made in this section and throughout western Pennsylvania.
Erected 1938 by Norwin High, The Irwin, and North Huntingdon Township Schools.
Location. 40° 19.222′ N, 79° 41.1′ W. Marker is in Irwin, Pennsylvania, in Westmoreland County. Marker is on Pennsylvania Avenue 0.2 miles west of Rocky Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located behind Kohl's in Irwin. Marker is in this post office area: Irwin PA 15642, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Beginning of the Lincoln Highway (approx. 1.4 miles away); John Irwin House (approx. 1½ miles away); Braddock's Military Road 1755 Monacatootha's Camp (approx. 2.7 miles away); Braddock's Military Road 1755 "Three Springs" Camp (approx. 2.8 miles away); Long Run Church Bushy Run (approx. 3½ miles away); Bushy Run Battlefield (approx. 4 miles away); Ambush (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Irwin.
Also see . . . Blockhouse an example of private 'fort-itude'. April 24, 2009 article in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (Submitted on November 1, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 1, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 745 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 1, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.