Domestic Service Buildings-Behind the Big House
Hampton National Historic Site
At Hamptonís height, hundreds of workers labored to make this a self-sufficient and profitable estate. Slaves and servants who worked in the mansion carried out their daily chores in this yard and also had living quarters in this area (see octagonal foundation nearby). In the early 19ths century, there were more outbuildings than you see now, including a carpenterís shed and smokehouse. In the 1850s, a gas works was built nearby. Servants heated coal to make gas, which was fed through pipes to the mansion. The Ridgelys used gas lighting until electricity was installed in 1929.
(Inscriptions under the photo of the buildings reading left to right)
Garage, 1910-This garage was for cars, which replaced carriages in the early 1900s; Shed; Storage Shed; Privies-These multi-seat outhouses were sanitary facilities. In back are trap doors for cleaning.
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior.
Location. 39° 24.966′ N, 76° 35.214′ W. Marker is in Towson, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is on Hampton Lane. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 535 Hampton Lane, Towson MD 21286, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 300 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.