A Slave Village
Hampton National Historic Site
To our eyes, the stone facades and decorative woodwork that adorn these buildings seem at odds with their use as slave quarters. But the entire farm site—based on a popular European architectural concept called ferme ornee (ornamental farm)--was intentionally designed to look like a picturesque village. Such ornamentation offered the Ridgelys a more pleasing view from the mansion. The living quarters were located in the center of the farm, in close proximity to places of work. Enslaved families were often large and the space was likely crowded. Most slaves had few personal possessions, and children likely slept on a straw mattress on the floor. After Emancipation those buildings housed tenant farmers.
(Inscription in the lower right)
This photograph shows the quarters as they looked in 1897 when tenant farmers resided here. Ashes, used for making soap, were collected in the small stone house to the left. Some of the tenant farmers had been or were descended from slaves on the estate.
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior.
Location. 39° 25.236′ N, 76° 35.166′ W. Marker is in Towson, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is on
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quarters #2 & 3 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lower House (within shouting distance of this marker); The View from Below (within shouting distance of this marker); Corn Culture (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memoriam (about 700 feet away); Ice Cream in July-Icehouse, ca.1790 (approx. ¼ mile away); Hampton: An American Story (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ridgely's Pride (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Towson.
Categories. • African Americans • Colonial Era • Patriots & Patriotism •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 331 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 6, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.