Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Finleyville in Washington County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Cox or Coxes Station

 
 
Fort Cox or Coxes Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 9, 2014
1. Fort Cox or Coxes Station Marker
Inscription. Built by Gabriel Cox about 700 yards Southeast of this site. Gabriel Cox came to this area in 1770 and took out a grant of 400 acres. The Virginia certificate was dated 1780 under the title of Coxburg. He also received another tract of the 262 acres called Coxes addition. Here he built a log cabin near a spring of water on the present Waldo Brown farm. He also built a fort or blockhouse for protection from the Indians near the Brown and Denninston line fence, which later became a militia post. Gabriel Cox was a major under the authority of Virginia from 1776 to 1781. He also was a participant in various expeditions that went out from this area against the Indians from 1778 to 1782. This was a stockade fort of considerable importance and was garrisoned by tropps. It was used as headquarters for the land commissioners granting Virginia land certificates until sometime in 1780. This is shown by old certificates on record in the Recorder's office dated at Fort Cox.
 
Erected by Peters Creek Historical Society, Inc.
 
Location. 40° 15.883′ N, 79° 58.021′ W. Marker is near Finleyville, Pennsylvania, in Washington County. Marker is on Stone Church Road half a mile west of Snowden Road, on the right when traveling east.
Fort Cox or Coxes Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 9, 2014
2. Fort Cox or Coxes Station Marker
Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Finleyville PA 15332, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James Chapel Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Mingo Creek Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Citation: (approx. 2.9 miles away); Yohogania Courthouse (approx. 2.9 miles away); Cincinnati Mine Disaster (approx. 3 miles away); Monongahela River Navigation System (approx. 3.5 miles away); Monongahela (approx. 4.3 miles away); Elizabeth (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Finleyville.
 
Also see . . .  Peters Creek Historical Society. (Submitted on November 9, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 9, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 377 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 9, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement