Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cleves in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

William Henry Harrison / and the Cincinnati & Whitewater Canal

 
 
William Henry Harrison and the Cincinnati & Whitewater Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 13, 2014
1. William Henry Harrison and the Cincinnati & Whitewater Canal Marker
close up of text, south side of marker
Inscription.

side A (south)

Harrison, later to become the ninth president of the United States, was a strong supporter of the Cincinnati & Whitewater Canal project and a major subscriber of stock in the canal company. He sold land from his North Bend farm for the canal and tunnel right- of-way and provided clay and cordwood for manufacturing the bricks for the tunnel. On March 31, 1836, the steamer Moselle carried passengers from Cincinnati to the Harrison farm to witness the canal groundbreaking ceremonies. After his death in 1841, President Harrison was laid to rest in a tomb on the hill a few hundred feet above the North Bend portal of the tunnel.

side B (north)

In 1837, Cincinnati merchants projected a branch canal to join the Whitewater canal at West Harrison, Indiana, with the goal of tapping commerce from Indiana’s Whitewater Valley. The major obstacle on the route was the ridge between North Bend and Cleves, just northeast of this site. Engineer Darius Lapham designed a 1,782- foot tunnel through this barrier. Lined with brick made on site, the tunnel, 24 feet wide, and 20 ½ feet high, was the first canal tunnel in Ohio. Six workers died in its construction. The Cincinnati & Whitewater Canal opened in 1843 but was abandoned by 1856, after the main Whitewater Canal had been rendered
William Henry Harrison and the Cincinnati & Whitewater Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 13, 2014
2. William Henry Harrison and the Cincinnati & Whitewater Canal Marker
north side of marker
useless by repeated flooding. The canal tunnel was subsequently used as a railroad tunnel from 1863 until 1888, illustrating the progression of transportation technology in the mid- nineteenth century.
 
Erected 2000 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission The Longaberger Basket Company The Three Rivers Historical Society The Canal Society of Ohio The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 20-31.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 9.304′ N, 84° 44.948′ W. Marker is in Cleves, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of Miami Avenue on Miami Avenue. Touch for map. marker is on the west side of Miami Ave., about 1000 feet north of Brower Road/Taylor Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 465 S Miami Ave, Cleves OH 45002, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Henry Harrison Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Abraham Brower (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Henry Harrison Tomb (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Cleves Symmes (approx. 0.3 miles
William Henry Harrison and the Cincinnati & Whitewater Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 13, 2014
3. William Henry Harrison and the Cincinnati & Whitewater Canal Marker
looking north on Miami Avenue in Cleves, Ohio
away); Benjamin Harrison (approx. 0.4 miles away); Indiana - Ohio State Line Monument (approx. 3.8 miles away); Fort Finney (approx. 3.9 miles away); Point Farm (approx. 3.9 miles away).
 
Categories. Bridges & ViaductsWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 10, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement