Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chippawa in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
 

Church of the Holy Trinity

 
 
Church of the Holy Trinity Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 16, 2014
1. Church of the Holy Trinity Marker
Inscription. A frame church was built here following the arrival in 1820 of an Anglican missionary, the Reverend William Leeming. It was burned on the night of September 12-13, 1839, by supporters of William Lyon Mackenzie who crossed the Niagara River from New York State. The present church was designed by John Howard and built with the aid of private subscriptions and government assistance. The corner-stone was laid in 1841 by Bishop John Stachan. Among the well known persons who worshiped here were: Jenny Lind, the famous singer, in 1851; Edward, Prince of Wales (later King Edward Vii), in 1860; and Laura Secord, a parishioner, who died in 1868.
 
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
 
Location. 43° 3.695′ N, 79° 3.436′ W. Marker is in Chippawa, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker is at the intersection of Portage Road and Norton Street, on the left when traveling east on Portage Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7820 Portage Rd, Chippawa, Ontario L2G 5Y8, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Founding of Chippawa (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Raid on Fort Schlosser 1813 (approx. 0.6 kilometers
Church of the Holy Trinity Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 16, 2014
2. Church of the Holy Trinity Marker
away); Fort Chippawa 1791 (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Bridgewater Mills (approx. 1.1 kilometers away); Stranded Scow (approx. 1.6 kilometers away); Burch’s Mill (approx. 1.6 kilometers away); Toronto Power Generating Station (approx. 1.8 kilometers away); The Niagara Portage (approx. 2 kilometers away in the U.S.). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chippawa.
 
Also see . . .
1. Entry in Canada’s Historic Places website. “Holy Trinity Anglican Church is the first church in Chippawa and one of the oldest parishes in the province, thus having significant historical importance. The congregation developed in 1820 after a petition was sent to the Church of England requesting a clergyman for Chippawa. This petition led to the arrival of Reverend William Leeming, from England, who would become a very prominent and respected man in the community. He played an important role in the area’s development.” (Submitted on November 13, 2014.) 

2. The Mackenzie Rebellion. “Mackenzie was a leading critic of the ruling oligarchic elite of Upper Canada. Mackenzie began to organize an armed resistance to the ruling government. In December of 1837, Mackenzie led a small
Church of the Holy Trinity image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 16, 2014
3. Church of the Holy Trinity
insurrection against the British at York (Toronto). Following this unsuccessful coup d' état, with a bounty of 1000 £ (lira, former currency of Italy until the Euro was used) for his apprehension, Mackenzie fled through the Niagara Peninsula to the home of sympathizers along the shore of the Niagara River.” (Submitted on November 13, 2014.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Church of the Holy Trinity Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 16, 2014
4. Church of the Holy Trinity Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 293 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 13, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement