Placentia in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula), Newfoundland and Labrador — The Canadian Atlantic
In 1693 the French began construction of Fort Royal to guard the harbour at Placentia. When it was completed in 1703, several batteries and outworks supported the main fortifications. The defences, however, were precariously maintained throughout the French régime. Never captured, Castle Hill was ceded to Great Britain by the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713 and subsequently neglected in favor of other defences. The fort has fallen into ruins by the beginning of the 19th century.
Les premières fondations du fort Royal datent de 1693. Construit pour protéger les envions du port, il fut completé en 1703. Plusieurs batteries de murailles installées autour de l’ouvrage de pierre assurèrent alors la sécurité de l’endroit. Jusqu’au traite d’Utrecht, les Français maintinrent péniblement la place de état de defense. Après 1713, les Anglais abandonnèrent Castle Hill au profit de nouvelles fortifications. Il subit quelques réparations lors de la guerre de la Conquête mais il n’était plus que ruines au début du XIXᵉ siècle. L’ennemi ne s’empara jamais de Castle Hill.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Location. 47° 15.084′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Placentia, Newfoundland and Labrador A0B, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Castle Hill (a few steps from this marker); Fort Royal (Plaisance) (within shouting distance of this marker); Port Royal and Castle Graves (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); (Fort Royal) (about 90 meters away); Fort Frederick (approx. 0.8 kilometers away).
More about this marker. Castle Hill National Historic Site is located at the end of Castle Hill Road,
Also see . . . Castle Hill, Newfoundland and Labrador - Wikipedia. Castle Hill is an area containing the remains of both French and British fortifications, overlooking the town of Placentia (français: Plaisance) in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. The site was originally established in order to protect the French fishing interests in Newfoundland and the approaches to the French colony of Canada. (Submitted on November 15, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 15, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 15, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.