St. John's in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula), Newfoundland and Labrador — The Canadian Atlantic
Born in Scotland, Carson came to Newfoundland as a physician in 1808, and became an ardent advocate of social and political reform. He was leader in the campaign for an elected legislature, established in 1832, and helped bring about the reform of landholding laws and the judicial system. He was elected to the Assembly in 1833 and became Speaker in 1837. Keenly interested in the economic self-determination of the colony he encouraged the development of its fisheries, agriculture and roads. Dr. Carson was appointed to the Executive Council in 1841 and served there until his death.
Né en Écosse, William Carson arriva à Terre-Neuve comme médecin en 1808 et devint une des figures dominantes de l’historie sociale et politique de la province. Il se fit le défenseur d’un corps législatif électif, établi en 1832, et de la réforme de lois foncières et du système judiciaire. Il fut élu à l’assemblée en 1833 et de devint Président en 1837. Préoccupé de l’auto-détermination de la colonie, en matière économique, il prêcha le développement des pêcheries, de l’agriculture et du réseau routier. Il fut nommé au Conseil exécutif en 1841.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Marker series. Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 47° 33.917′ N, 52° 42.427′ W. Marker is in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula). Marker is at the intersection of Duckworth Street and Cathedral Street, on the left when traveling north on Duckworth Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 290 Duckworth Street, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1C, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Masonic Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); Former Bank of British North America (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Bank of British North America (about 90 meters away); St. John the Baptist Anglican Cathedral (about 120 meters away); St. John’s Court House (about 150 meters away); (Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Monument) (about 210 meters away); O’Dwyer Block (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Thompson Building (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. John's.
Also see . . . William Carson - Wikipedia. Sir William Carson, often called "The Great Reformer", was an important doctor and businessman in Newfoundland. Carson's primary contribution to Newfoundland was the application of modern agricultural principles. (Submitted on November 21, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 21, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.