Sandusky in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Jury of Erie County Women / Erie County Courthouse
(continued on other side)
"Erie County Courthouse"
(continued from other side)
The first Board of Erie County Commissioners - Samuel B. Carpenter, Nelson Taylor, and William B. Craighill - was instructed by the Ohio Legislature to hold the county's first term of court in December 1838. As a result, Erie County's first Court of Common Pleas was held in the Academy building on the east side of Columbus Avenue, across from the Courthouse's current location. The Academy building continued to house the Court of Common Pleas until a new Courthouse was built on the current site in 1874 at a cost of $142,026.45.
Erected 2002 by Ohhio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Board of Commissioners of Erie County, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 23-22.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 27.237′ N, 82° 42.667′ W. Marker is in Sandusky, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is on Columbus Avenue north of Adams Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 323 Columbus Avenue, Sandusky OH 44870, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sandusky (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grace Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); Kilbourne Plat (about 700 feet away); Underground Railroad (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Hinde & Dauch Paper Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Underground Railroad / Abolition Boats Provide an Escape to Freedom in Erie County Shoreline Park (approx. half a mile away); Sandusky Aviation, Shipyard & Railroad (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandusky.
Categories. • Politics • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 23, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 23, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.