Sandusky in Erie County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
1816 - platted as town of Portland; English version of Indian name, "San Dus Tee," adopted in 1818. First Connecticut settlers arrived in 1817.
1848 - influx of refugees from German political revolution.
Home of Jay Cooke who financed Civil War. Strategic area in War of 1812.
Perry's Victory, Battle of Lake Erie,
in 1813 won American sovereignty of Great Lakes.
Erected 1953 by Ohio Sesquicentennial, The Register, Star, News Founded 1822.
Location. 41° 27.28′ N, 82° 42.693′ W. Marker is in Sandusky, Ohio, in Erie County. Marker is on Washington Street west of Columbus Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 198 Grand Army of the Republic Hwy, Sandusky OH 44870, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jury of Erie County Women / Erie County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kilbourne Plat (about 600 feet away); Grace Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); Jay Cooke (about 700 feet away); Donahue Hardware State Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hubbard Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Underground Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandusky.
Categories. • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 23, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 290 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 23, 2014, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.