Marion in Crittenden County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Twenty-two Kentucky courthouses were burned during Civil War, nineteen in last fifteen months: twelve by Confederates, eight by guerrillas, two by Union accident. See map on reverse side.
The courthouse at Marion was burned by guerrillas in January, 1865. Building total loss, though walls stood. County records lost. Courthouse again burned in 1870.
Erected 1960 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 596.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 19.948′ N, 88° 4.908′ W. Marker is in Marion, Kentucky, in Crittenden County. Marker is on Carlisle Street 0.1 miles east of Court Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located beside the sidewalk leading to the courthouse south entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 South Main Street, Marion KY 42064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Crittenden County Courthouse, Marion (here, next to this marker); County Named, 1842 (within shouting distance of this marker).
Related markers. list of markers that are related to this marker. Twenty-two Kentucky courthouses were burned during the Civil War.
Also see . . . History of Crittenden County, Kentucky.
By an act of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky on the 26th day of January in 1842, a portion of land lying in Livingston County was set apart as Crittenden County and was organized with a court of its own. The new county, the 91st to be formed in Kentucky, was named in honor of John J. Crittenden, then Governor of the state of Kentucky and later U.S. Senator and Attorney General. (Submitted on November 27, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Politics • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 320 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 27, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.