Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Laurel in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Water From the Dam Powered the Cotton Mill

Riverfront Park Heritage & Nature Trail

 
 
Water From the Dam Powered the Cotton Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2014
1. Water From the Dam Powered the Cotton Mill Marker
Inscription. Water flowed from the race to the mill where it originally powered two overshot wheels and later a large Boyden Turbine before flowing back into the river. When water power was unavailable — either because of repairs or low water, the mill had to shut down or use coal to fire up its backup power — a steam engine, which was a much more expensive process.
 
Erected by City of Laurel Parks and Recreation.
 
Location. 39° 6.602′ N, 76° 51.556′ W. Marker is in Laurel, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Main Street. Touch for map. In Riverfront Park at the west end of Main Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 998 Main St, Laurel MD 20707, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Laurel Harnessed the River to Power the Cotton Mill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Laurel Harnessed the River to Power the Cotton Mill (about 400 feet away); Laurel Cotton Mill and Dam (about 500 feet away); Laurel Factory: (about 500 feet away); Laurel Factory: A Mill Town (about 500 feet away);
Water From the Dam Powered the Cotton Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2014
2. Water From the Dam Powered the Cotton Mill Marker
The Old Stone Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Casula Point (about 600 feet away); Laurel: A Factory Town Bridging Two Counties (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Laurel.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Boyden Turbine image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2014
3. Boyden Turbine
Close-up of image on marker
Lapsley Window Shade Factory image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2014
4. Lapsley Window Shade Factory
This 1923 Sanborn Map, shows clearly how the mill race flowed from the dam to the factory, which was then making window shades.
Close-up of image on marker
George Nye image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2014
5. George Nye
Monday July 8 1878 letter from [Mill owner James P.] Gary saying we better not use steam when water was short – but that would run up our expense more than it would to use steam – Diary of Laurel Mills Superintendent George Nye, July 1879.
Close-up of image on marker
Ruins of the Laurel Dam image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2014
6. Ruins of the Laurel Dam
Ruins of Laurel Dam image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2014
7. Ruins of Laurel Dam
Remnants of the Wooden Sluice gates
Flowers in the Dam Wall image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2014
8. Flowers in the Dam Wall
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on November 27, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement