Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Gering in Scotts Bluff County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Ficklin Springs Pony Express Station

 
 
Ficklin Springs Pony Express Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 22, 2014
1. Ficklin Springs Pony Express Station Marker
Inscription.
- Site of -
Ficklin Springs Pony Express
Station and Old Coad Ranch

North 20 East 450 feet

 
Erected by Daughters of the American Revolution, Katahdin Chapter & American Pioneer Trails Association.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Pony Express National Historic Trail marker series.
 
Location. 41° 47.366′ N, 103° 32.018′ W. Marker is near Gering, Nebraska, in Scotts Bluff County. Marker is on State Highway 92 near County Route 29, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gering NE 69341, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rebecca Winters (approx. 5.7 miles away); Winters (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Road to Zion (approx. 5.7 miles away); A Grand & Splendid Formation (approx. 5.7 miles away); Scotts Bluff (approx. 8.6 miles away); The Overland Experience (approx. 9.1 miles away); Pony Express (approx. 9.1 miles away); a different marker also named Scotts Bluff (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gering.
 
Also see . . .  Pony Express Stations - Page 5 - Legends of America
Ficklin Springs Pony Express Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 22, 2014
2. Ficklin Springs Pony Express Station Marker
. Ficklin's Springs Station - This site is reportedly one mile west of Melbeta, Nebraska in Scotts Bluff County. The 1861 Overland Mail Company contract listed the site as an unnamed Pony station, later named for Benjamin F. Ficklin, superintendent of the entire Pony Express route. The site originated as a Pony Express station and later served as a telegraph station and temporary garrison in 1865. In 1871, cattle rancher Mark M. Coad acquired the sod station. (Submitted on December 6, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. CommunicationsRoads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 277 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 6, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement