Near Silver Lake in McLeod County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
St Joseph's Church and School
O God Our Help in Ages Past
Our Hope for Years to Come!
With thanksgiving to God we erect this monument in honor of our ancestors sleeping here. They predominantly came to Silver Lake from Southern and Eastern Bohemia and Western Moravia, along with neighboring Poles, French and Germans. With wisdom and love they passed on their Catholic faith to us, as it had been passed on to them, by forming St. Joseph's Parish incorporated in 1895. The first Czech parish was The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary on Bear Creek, 4 miles south of here, built in 1873, it's cemetery was founded in 1867. Assumption Church was a mission parish to St. Adalbert's in Silver Lake 1877 - 1896. As size and needs changed, it was replaced by St. Joseph's in Silver Lake in 1896 and was a mission of St. Joseph's until it was dismantled in 1930. The children of the parish attended St. Adalbert's School until St. Joseph's School was opened in 1931. This school consolidated with St. Adalbert's in 1967 to form Silver Lake Catholic Schools. The School Sisters of Notre Dame taught from 1931 to 1992. The church was enlarged in 1930. The priests helped serve the Czech Catholics of Glencoe, Stewart, Olivia, Bechyn, and Renville. 7 priests and 12 sisters came from this parish. Parish Societies included the CCW, St. Martha's
Erected 1997 by Holy Family Catholic Church.
Location. 44° 54.007′ N, 94° 13.104′ W. Marker is near Silver Lake, Minnesota, in McLeod County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 7 0.6 miles west of Silver Avenue (County Highway 16), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in Holy Family / St. Joseph Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Silver Lake MN 55381, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McLeod County Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 7.2 miles away); Hutchinson Stockade (approx. 7.4 miles away); Cupola Restoration Project (approx. 7.4 miles away); Chief Little Crow (approx. 7.4 miles away); American Legion Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.5 miles away); Lester Prairie Veterans Memorial (approx. 8.7 miles away); a different marker also named Chief Little Crow (approx. 9.9 miles away); Glencoe Veterans Memorial (approx. 10.1 miles away).
More about this marker. marker captions:
• Church of St. Joseph 1896
• Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Bear Creek 1873-1930
• St. Joseph School and Convent 1931
• First St. Joseph Rectory 1896
Also see . . . Holy Family Catholic Church. (Submitted on December 9, 2014.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 216 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 9, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.