Louisbourg in Cape Breton Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic
French Garrison at Louisbourg
This tablet commemorated the valour and endurance displayed against overwhelming odds, by the French forces, who, in 1745 and again in 1758, garrisoned the defensive batteries on the Island opposite the entrance to the harbour of Louisbourg and facing this spot.
Cette plaque est érigée en hommage à la bravoure et à l’endurance dont firent preuve, contre des troupes bien supérieures, les troupes françaises retranchées dans l’ile située en face de l’entrée du port de Louisbourg en 1745 et en 1758.
Erected 1926 by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 45° 54.398′ N, 59° 57.504′ W. Marker is in Louisbourg, Nova Scotia, in Cape Breton Regional Municipality. Marker can be reached from Havenside Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 573 Havenside Road, Louisbourg, Nova Scotia B1C 1P4, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Lighthouse Tower (here, next to this marker); First Lighthouse 19th-Century Lighthouse (a few steps from this marker); Louisbourg Harbour (within shouting distance of this marker); Lighthouse Point (within shouting distance of this marker); Kennelly Point (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Lobster Fishery (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Fortress of Louisbourg (approx. 2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisbourg.
More about this marker. This marker is located on the lighthouse at the end of Havenside Road.
Categories. • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 29, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 276 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 29, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.