Darien in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Until the advent of the railroad in 1848, Darien remained a small rural community of about one thousand farmers, shoemakers, fishermen, and merchants engaged in coastal trading. A gradual increase in population then occurred with the arrival of emigrants who came from Ireland and later from Italy. In 1864 during the Civil War, the first home in the United States for disabled veterans
Erected by the Town of Darien
The Darien Historical Society, Inc.
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Erected 1979 by Town of Darien, Darien Historical Society, Inc., Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 3.957′ N, 73° 29.046′ W. Marker is in Darien, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Renshaw Road and Park Place, on the right when traveling west on Renshaw Road. Touch for map. Located in front of Darien Town Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Renshaw Road, Darien CT 06820, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Darien Combat Wounded Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Darien World War II Memorial (within shouting distance of this Darien Korean War and Vietnam War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Darien Civil War and World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Oscar E. Peck (approx. 0.3 miles away); Spring Grove Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ring’s End Landing (approx. 0.7 miles away); Rowayton Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darien.
Also see . . .
1. Town of Darien Website. (Submitted on January 5, 2015, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Darien, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on January 5, 2015, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 5, 2015, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 357 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 5, 2015, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.