Kettering in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Mad River Road /
Road from Cunningham’s to Mad River
The first overland route between Dayton and Cincinnati was cut by Daniel Cooper in 1795 to provide access to the new town of Dayton, located at the mouth of the Mad River in the Symmes Purchase. The survey, entered into the record by Cooper and Dr. John Hole, extended Harmer's Trace north from near Cunningham's Station on the Mill Creek to the mouth of the Mad River, establishing the earliest road between Cincinnati and Dayton. This five-mile segment between David Road and State Route 725 is the last remaining traceable portion retaining this name. Cooper, a miller, was instrumental in the early settlement of Dayton, and Dr. Hole, the first physician in Montgomery County, established his cabin in 1796 on this part of Mad River Road.
Be it remembered that pursuant to an order of Court to Daniel Cooper, Daniel Griffing and John Hole on a petition of more than twelve citizens of the County aforesaid, the following survey of a road in the said County was made and reported, to wit, Beginning at Cunningham's Station, thence along the old road four miles and a half, thence North eleven miles, thence North twenty five degrees East thirteen miles; thence North forty degrees East three miles and a quarter, thence North three miles and a half, thence North ten degrees West one mile and a quarter
Erected 2001 by the Ohio BiCentennial Commission the Longaberger Company. (Marker Number 2- 57.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 40.775′ N, 84° 10.255′ W. Marker is in Kettering, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Mad River Road. Touch for map. marker is located in the edge of David Cemetery on Mad River Road, just south of West David Road, off Far Hills Avenue (St Rt 48). Marker is at or near this postal address: 4600 Mad River Rd., Dayton OH 45429, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cassano’s Pizza King® (approx. 1.9 miles away); Zion Memorial Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Victory Oak Knoll Hill Memorial (approx. 2½ miles away); Historic Blanchard Avenue Dayton-Wright Airplane Factory (approx. 2.8 miles away); Delco-Light and Frigidaire (approx. 2.8 miles away); Moraine Veterans Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); Sugar Creek Baptist Church Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away).
More about this marker. Identical Marker, located at 7869 Mad River Rd., Dayton, Ohio
39.636872 N 84.216769 W
1. two markers
there are indeed TWO markers. The other is referenced as nearby. Both are coded with the same number. Both are OHS bronze markers.
— Submitted February 24, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio.
Additional keywords. Number 2 of two identical markers
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 489 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 16, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. 7. submitted on February 24, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. If in deed there are two markers - - than HMdb welcomes both to the listing. Thanks . • Can you help?