Near Wasilla in Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaska — The American West (Northwest)
Father of the Iditarod
Joe Redington, Sr.
—Iditarod Trail Race Headquarters —
Born in Oklahoma, February 1, 1917 • Died in Alaska, June 24, 1999
Joe was an accomplished man; homesteader, big- game guide. bush pilot, commercial fisherman, boat builder, fish- plant manager, and mountain climber. But most of all, he was a man who loved dogs and dog mushing.
After service in the Army during World War II, Joe came to Alaska in 1948 to homestead. Here he established Knik Kennels. Until 1966, he and his dog teams performed search-and-rescue and reclamation work for the Army. In, 1979, Joe mushed a dog team to the summit of Mt McKinley and showed the world what dogs could do.
Joe’s interest in the old mail route known as the Iditarod Trail led to its declaration as a National Historic Trail. he was the driving force behind the creation of the first Iditarod Trail sled dog Race in 1973 and fought to keep the event alive through its most difficult years. Thanks to his tenacity, the Iditarod has evolved into a thriving, world-renowned event that continues to this day. He will always be remembered as the Father of the Iditarod.
Location. 61° 33.629′ N, 149° 28.751′ W. Marker is near Wasilla, Alaska, in Matanuska-Susitna Borough. Marker is on Knik-Goose Bay Rd, on the right Touch for map. marker is in the front lawn of the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Museum a little over a mile south and southwest of I-4 (E. Park Hwy) from downtown Wasilla, Alaska. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2100 S Knik-Goose Bay Rd, Wasilla AK 99654, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Balto (a few steps from this marker); Iditarod Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker).
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 342 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on January 20, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.