Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Defenses of Washington
1861 - 1865
100 yards to the west stood Fort Williams, built in 1863 to guard the approaches to Alexandria by Little River Turnpike and Telegraph Road. It had a perimeter of 250 yards and emplacements for 13 guns. This fort was built on the property of General Samuel Cooper, C.S.A.
Erected by Civil War Round Table of Alexandria.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 48.719′ N, 77° 5.349′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of North Quaker Lane and Coventry Lane, on the left when traveling north on North Quaker Lane. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 214 N Quaker Ln, Alexandria VA 22304, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Worth (approx. half a mile away); Lake Cook (approx. 0.7 miles away); Original Federal Boundary Stone SW 3 (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Ellsworth (approx. 1.1 miles away); Episcopal High School Virginia Theological Seminary (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Cameron Valley (approx. 1.3 miles away); Braddock Cannon (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 25, 2015. This page has been viewed 644 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 25, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.