Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Berthier-sur-Mer in Chaudière-Appalaches (region), Quebec — French Canadian Region
 

Hameau Dunière-Dénéchaud

 
 
Hameau Dunière-Dénéchaud Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 22, 2014
1. Hameau Dunière-Dénéchaud Marker
Caption (English / French): Dénéchaud Manor circa 1925 / Manoir Dénéchaud vers 1925
Inscription. Seigneurial manor site where the second seigneur, Aleandre (Isaac) Berthier, lived as well as the Rigauville, Dunière-Dénéchaud families. Today this site is called Hameau Dunière-Dénéchaud in honor of the last two seigneur of the Seigneurie of Bellechasse, Louis Durière (1723-1806) and Claude Dénéchaud (1768-1836).

At the time of construction of the quay in 1853, the site was occupied by a set of buildings for maritime trade and agriculture. They included the manor house, farm houses, a barn, a cooper’s shop, a dairy and a cooler and two windmills.

The seigneurie of Berthier (or Bellechasse) evokes the memory of Alexander Berthier, captian of the Carignan regiment, to whom the seigneurie was granted October 29, 1672.

The stone fireplace indicates the location of the second manor house rebuilt on this historic site in the early nineteenth century by Louis Dunière and then inhabited by Claude Dénéchaud. Despite many efforts to preserve it, the Dénéchaud manor became dilapidated and was demolished in 1994.

French:
Site du domaine seigneurial où ont vécu le deuxième seigneur, Alexandre (Isaac) Berthier, ainsi que les familles de Rigauville, Dunière-Dénéchaud. Ce site porte aujourd’hui le nom de Hameau Dunière-Dénéchaud en l’honneur des deux derniers seigneurs de la seigneurie de Bellechasse,
Hameau Dunière-Dénéchaud Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 22, 2014
2. Hameau Dunière-Dénéchaud Marker
Louis Dunière (1723-1806) et Claude Dénéchaud (1768-1836).

Au moment de la construction de quai en 1853, le site était occupé par un ensemble de bâtiments destinés au commerce maritime et à l’agriculture. On y retrouvait le manoir seigneurial, les maisons de ferme, une grange-étable, une boutique de tonnelier, une laiterie et une glacière ainsi que deux moulins à vent.

La seigneurie de Berthier (ou Bellechasse) évoque le souvenir d’Alexandre Berthier, capitaine du regiment de Carignan, à qui elle fut concédée le 29 octobre 1672.

La cheminée en pierre témoigne de l’emplacement du 2ᵉ manoir reconstruit sur ce site historique au début du XIXᵉ siècle par Louis Dunière puis habité par Claude Dénéchaud. Malgré bien des efforts déployés pour sa conservation, le manoir Dénéchaud, devenu vétuste, est démoli en 1994.
 
Erected by Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Quebec.
 
Location. 46° 56.08′ N, 70° 44.084′ W. Marker is near Berthier-sur-Mer, Quebec, in Chaudière-Appalaches (region). Marker is on Rue de la Marina just from Chemin d'Étiopie, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 90 Rue de la Marina, Berthier-sur-Mer, Quebec G0R 1E0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 13 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Celtic Cross (approx. 10.3 kilometers away); Doukhobor Immigrants (approx. 10.5 kilometers away); Cholera arrives in the Americas (approx. 10.6 kilometers away); Grosse Île and Immigration to Canada (approx. 10.7 kilometers away); Veterinarians Mark the History of Animal Health in Canada (approx. 11.4 kilometers away).
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 7, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 7, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement