Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
—War of 1812 —
The night-time crossing would have been unpleasant for the 300 men marching in wool uniforms and heavy leather boots.
“This narrows…is skirted on both sides by extensive marshes…To approach the Island … you must traverse a narrow causeway upwards of a mile…across the marsh.”
Major William H. Nicholson, Maryland Militia, August 16, 1813
Major Nicholson reported that his 214 soldiers and 100 cavalry could be facing 3,000 or more British. On August 13, his scouts brought “painful intelligence” of enemy forces arriving from Kent Narrows and from Queenstown Creek, threatening to trap the militia between the two.
(Inscription beside the image on the right)
Cavalry scouts from outposts on the main road reported the enemy’s approach. Trooper; Light Cavalry, Maryland Volunteer Militia, 1814, Watercolor by Herbert Knotel. Image/Courtesy Anne E.A. Brown Military Collection, Brown University, Providence.
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department of the
Marker series. This marker is included in the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 58.13′ N, 76° 14.614′ W. Marker is in Kent Narrows, Maryland, in Queen Anne's County. Marker is on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grasonville MD 21638, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Working the Waters (within shouting distance of this marker); Enemy Occupation (approx. half a mile away); Maryland's Eastern Shore (approx. half a mile away); Byway Destinations (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Byway Destinations (approx. half a mile away); Chesapeake Country National Scenic Byway (approx. half a mile away); Crossing the Narrows (approx. half a mile away); Island in the Marsh: a hummock (approx. 1.6 miles away).
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 14, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 250 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 14, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.