The Hartford House
This house is one of about ten prefabricated buildings brought on the steamboat Hartford to Kansas in the spring of 1855.
The Hartford left Cincinnati, Ohio April 26, 1855. Its passengers planned to settle in a town named Manhattan at the head of the Kansas River. After a difficult trip, the steamboat ran aground on June 1 close to the confluence of the Blue and Kansas Rivers, near the newly established town of Boston. The Boston settlers invited the Hartford passengers to join their town, and agreed to change the town's name to Manhattan.
The Hartford's cargo was unloaded and the boat headed downstream. It ran aground near St. Mary's and in October 1855 was destroyed by fire. Manhattan Methodists, who founded their congregation aboard the Hartford, salvaged the ship's bell, which now hangs in the Riley County Historical Museum.
In 1971 this house, a part of a larger house located on Colorado Street, was donated to the Riley County Historical Society by Mr. And Mrs. John Meisner. The Rotary Club and Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity assisted with the restoration and move to this site.
Erected by Riley County Historical Society.
Location. 39° 11.557′ N, 96° 35.769′ W. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Millstones (approx. 0.9 miles away); World War II Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dobřichovice, Czech Republic • Manhattan, Kansas (approx. 1.3 miles away); Spanish American War Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Civil War Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Harahey (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manhattan.
Also see . . . The Hartford House. (Submitted on February 15, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 15, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 191 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 15, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.