Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Leonard in Calvert County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Government at St. Leonardís

 
 
The Government at St. Leonardís Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, February 10, 2015
1. The Government at St. Leonardís Marker
Inscription. You are now standing on the house site of Richard Smith, Sr., who in 1657 was appointed to fill the newly created office of Attorney General for Maryland.

The following year, this plantation---“St. Leonardís---was used by the colonial General Assembly and Lord Baltimoreís Council of Maryland for a series of meetings. Among the laws passed by the Assembly at St. Leonardís that year was a peace treaty between Lord Baltimore and rebellious settlers; a bounty for killing wolves; a bill that required the registration of birth, marriages, and deaths; another that established the penalties for servant women who had illegitimate children; the creation of legal protection for the estates inherited by minor children; and the establishment of penalties for public drunkenness.

(Inscription under the image at the left top)
Excerpts from the 1773 plat key describing the Smith Cemetery.

(Inscription under the image at the right top)
1773 plat showing Richard Smithís Sr.ís house location-Detail of plat “i” is Smithís house, “k” is the family cemetery.

(Inscription under the image at the right center)
Archaeological test trench showing part of a grave shaft (outlined in red) at the Smith cemetery. The large stone to the right probably marked the graveís location.

A map of the plantation drawn

The Government at St. Leonardís Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, February 10, 2015
2. The Government at St. Leonardís Marker
in the 1770s indicated that the Smith family cemetery was located here, in an area where the Museum planned to install utility lines. Archaeological test trenches immediately uncovered the tops of graves, exactly where the map indicated they should be, and so the utility lines were moved to leave the burials undisturbed.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust.
 
Location. 38° 23.675′ N, 76° 30.447′ W. Marker is in St. Leonard, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker is on Jefferson Patterson Park Road. Touch for map. The marker is located on the grounds of the Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Leonard MD 20685, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Attention to Detail-Gertrude Sawyer, Architect (here, next to this marker); The Search for the Chesapeake Flotilla (within shouting distance of this marker); “We Must Have Done Them Considerable Damage” (within shouting distance of this marker); Smithís St. Leonard Site (within shouting distance of this marker); What is this Big White Building? (within shouting distance of this marker); John Stuart Skinner
Sign at the entrance to Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, February 10, 2015
3. Sign at the entrance to Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum
(within shouting distance of this marker); Valor at St. Leonard Creek (within shouting distance of this marker); “The Commodore Can Beat AnyÖBargesÖSent Against Him” (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Leonard.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 22, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 22, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement