Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Leonard in Calvert County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Attention to Detail-Gertrude Sawyer, Architect

 
 
Attention to Detail-Gertrude Sawyer, Architect Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, February 10, 2015
1. Attention to Detail-Gertrude Sawyer, Architect Marker
Inscription. Emphasizing functional requirements as well as traditional Chesapeake Tidewater architecture, Gertrude Sawyer designed 26 Colonial Revival buildings for Patterson’s Point Farm from 1932 to 1955. A graduate of the first class (1919) of the Cambridge School of Domestic and Landscape Architecture for Women, Sawyer was one of the first women admitted into the American Institute of Architects (AIA).

Point Farm was Sawyer’s largest and most diverse project. This work consisted of designing a gentleman farmer’s mansion and several farm complexes containing numerous outbuildings, and a show barn for Mr. Patterson’s prize Black Angus cattle.

Since 1983, the Point Farm buildings have been renovated to house the Museum’s administration, maintenance and exhibit design offices, the Visitor Center and the Breckinridge Education Center, while retaining the look created by Ms. Sawyer in the early 1930s.

(Inscription under the photo in the upper center-left)
Gertrude Sawyer standing at the Beach House construction site.

(Inscription under the photos in the upper center-right)
First photo-Aerial view of the Farm Manager’s Complex. The brown barn in the back is one of the few buildings left on the property that predate Mr. Patterson’s purchase. Second photo-Riverside view of the brick mansion designed for Mr. Patterson by Gertrude

Attention to Detail-Gertrude Sawyer, Architect Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, February 10, 2015
2. Attention to Detail-Gertrude Sawyer, Architect Marker
Sawyer.

(Inscription under the photo in the upper center-far right)
Originally a cattle barn, this building now serves as a Pavilion and exhibit area for historic farm equipment.

(Inscription under the photos in the upper far right)
This gazebo exhibits signature Sawyer design details that were used throughout the Point Farm architecture. Architectural detail of cupola design. Design elements of this fence, for example the pointed posts, can be seen throughout the Park.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust.
 
Location. 38° 23.675′ N, 76° 30.447′ W. Marker is in St. Leonard, Maryland, in Calvert County. Marker is on Jefferson Patterson Park Road. Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Leonard MD 20685, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Government at St. Leonard’s (here, next to this marker); The Search for the Chesapeake Flotilla (within shouting distance of this marker); “We Must Have Done Them Considerable Damage” (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith’s St. Leonard Site (within shouting distance

Sign at the entrance to Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, February 10, 2015
3. Sign at the entrance to Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum
of this marker); What is this Big White Building? (within shouting distance of this marker); John Stuart Skinner (within shouting distance of this marker); Valor at St. Leonard Creek (within shouting distance of this marker); “The Commodore Can Beat Any…Barges…Sent Against Him” (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Leonard.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 22, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 22, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement