Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The oldest marked grave in Merrilltown Cemetery is of Julia Merrell (d. 1852), the young daughter of Nelson and Rachel Merrell (d. 1862). Another noted burial here is of Lemuel Summerwell Woodward (1813-1891), another Travis County Commissioner (1860-1864). Others interred include community leaders and veterans of military conflicts dating to the Civil War. Cemetery features include curbing, vertical stones, obelisks, a Woodmen of the World grave marker and Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) grave markers. Merrilltown residents maintained the grounds until 1982, when the Round Rock School District was named the cemetery’s trustee. In 1996, the Calvary
Erected 2000 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16037.)
Location. 30° 27.236′ N, 97° 41.705′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on Farm to Market 1325 north of Merrilltown Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14901 Farm to Market 1325, Austin TX 78728, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Gault Homestead (approx. 1.2 miles away); Bratton Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); St. Stephen’s Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Waters Park (approx. 2.8 miles away); Sam Bass' Death Site (approx. 3.9 miles away); Otto Reinke Building (approx. 3.9 miles away); Old Broom Factory Building (approx. 3.9 miles away); Early Commercial Building (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to
Also see . . .
1. Merrilltown, TX. Handbook of Texas Online (Submitted on February 27, 2015.)
2. Captain Nelson Merrell. Link to Find A Grave entry for Captain Nelson Merrell (Submitted on February 27, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 30, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 987 times since then and 38 times this year. Last updated on February 27, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 30, 2011, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 6. submitted on February 28, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.