Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gruene in Comal County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Gruene

 
 
Gruene Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathleen Dougherty, May 25, 2014
1. Gruene Marker
Inscription. German immigrant farmers were the first settlers of this area, which was originally called Goodwin. Henry D. Gruene established a large cotton farming operation here in the 1870s. He built a mercantile, cotton gin and dance hall, and conveyed land for a school. The town became known as Gruene in 1903. A boll weevil infestation destroyed the cotton crop in 1925 and signaled the decline of the town. Restoration efforts begun in the 1970s revitalized the area. The town was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
 
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2293.)
 
Location. 29° 44.342′ N, 98° 6.22′ W. Marker is in Gruene, Texas, in Comal County. Marker is on Hunter Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1620 Hunter Rd, New Braunfels TX 78130, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gruene's Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry D. Gruene (about 400 feet away); Gruene Cotton Gin (about 500 feet away); The Cattle Drives (approx. 10.9 miles away); El Camino De Nacogdoches (approx. 12.7 miles away but has been reported missing); Wonder Cave (approx. 13 miles away); Site of Coronal Institute (approx. 13.7 miles away); The Calaboose (approx. 13.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gruene.
 
Categories. AgricultureSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2014, by Kathleen Dougherty of San Antonio, Texas. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 49 times this year. Last updated on March 6, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photo   1. submitted on July 13, 2014, by Kathleen Dougherty of San Antonio, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement