The Old Hardware Store
This stone building was erected in 1879 after a disastrous fire wiped out many frame buildings on Main Street. Bergtholdt had a farm implement agency in the south section until 1885. That year Henry Riesen and David Dyck opened a hardware store. Sons Curt Riesen and Albert Dyck continued to operate the store until 1936. The building survived the 1910 tornado and several severe floods. Since 1885 many different owners have continued to sell hardware at this location: Detweiller and Frazier (D & F Hardware 1936-1946); Woodworth Hardware (1946-1981); Don Haury and Brad Smith (Halstead Hardware 1981-1983); Arnita and Don Haury (Halstead Hardware 1983-98). Owners Margaret and Gary Kraisinger purchased the building in 1998 and spent one year restoring the building to maintain its historical appeal. They reopened it in August of 1999 as the Old Hardware Store. Today it is known far and wide as one of the few remaining pre-1900 hardware stores still operating.
Erected 2005 by the Harvey County Historical Society.
Location. 38° 0.246′ N, 97° 30.352′ W. Marker is in Halstead, Kansas, in Harvey County. Marker is on Main Street south of 2nd Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sweezy House (within shouting distance of this marker); Carnegie Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); War Memorial (about 600 feet away); Lt. Eldo "Pop" Steele (about 700 feet away); Halstead Santa Fe Depot (about 700 feet away); Scout Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Horse and Buggy Doctor (approx. 1.6 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halstead.
Also see . . . The Old Hardware Store, Halstead KS. (Submitted on March 7, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 7, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 197 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 7, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.