Cumberland in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Capture of Generals B.F. Kelly and George Crook
Nights, February 21–22, 1865
Generals Kelly and Melvin were taken from this building then the "Barnum House,"(now Windsor Hotel).
General Crook was captured in the “Revere House,”(now the Kenneweg Co.-Wholesale Grocers).
The generals were asleep when taken from their respective beds.
General Lew Wallace was stationed here in command of a large body of Indiana Zouaves; also, Brig. General Hayes later President of the United States.
This most daring episode of the Civil War created a great sensation all over the country, as at the time several thousand Union troops were stationed in Cumberland.
The Windsor Hotel—formerly Barnum House—was located on this site. Razed in 1959.
Location. 39° 39.133′ N, 78° 45.582′ W. Marker is in Cumberland, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cumberland MD 21502, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Boom for Cumberland (a few steps from this marker); Capture of Generals (within shouting distance of this marker); McNeill’s Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ's (St. Paul's) Lutheran Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First National Bank and Trust Company of Western Maryland (about 600 feet away); Military Hospital (approx. 0.2 miles away); On This Site Stood Metro Clothes (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cumberland Terminus: Yesterday and Today (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 13, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 605 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 13, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.