Zoar in Tuscarawas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Zoar Town Hall / Zoar and The Ohio & Erie Canal
Zoar Town Hall
The Society of Separatists of Zoar built the Zoar Town Hall in 1887 when the village was formally incorporated. Established in 1817 by German religious dissidents, Zoar became one of the most successful experiments in communal living during the 19th century. Early hardships encouraged the Zoarites, in 1819, to establish a communal system to ensure economic and social security. The Society disbanded in 1898. The Zoar Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1969.
Zoar and The Ohio & Erie Canal
In 1825, the Society of Separatists of Zoar contracted to build seven miles of the Ohio and Erie Canal, including four locks, just southwest of the village. Payment for the work, completed in 1828, allowed the society to settle its land debt. The canal made a significant economic contribution to the village, bringing packet boat passengers to the Zoar Hotel and providing new outlets for goods produced by the Society. Today the canal is part of the Ohio & Erie Canal National Heritage Corridor.
Erected 2000 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Zoar Community Association, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 9-79.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Zoar OH 44697, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Zoar Village (within shouting distance of this marker); Zoar Garden (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Zoar Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ohio and Erie Canal (approx. half a mile away); In Commemoration of Our Patriot Ancestors (approx. 2½ miles away); Unknown Soldier (approx. 2½ miles away); Fort Laurens (approx. 2½ miles away); Zoarville Station (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Zoar.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 351 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 16, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.