Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Panama City in Bay County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The St. Andrew Bay Saltworks

 
 
The St. Andrew Bay Saltworks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 29, 2008
1. The St. Andrew Bay Saltworks Marker
Inscription. Between 1861 and 1865, the St. Andrew Bay Saltworks, one of the largest producers of salt in the South, contributed to the Confederate cause by providing salt, fish, and cattle for southern troops and citizens. A necessary preservative in those times, salt sold for as much as $50 per bushel, and was produced in wood-fired saltworks on the perimeter of the West Bay, East Bay and North Bay and Lake Powell (a.k.a. Lake Ocala). An estimated 2,500 men, primarily from Florida, Georgia, and Alabama, were exempted from combat duty in order to labor in the saltworks. The salt was transported to Eufaula, Alabama, then to Montgomery, for distribution throughout the Confederate states. Because of the importance of St. Andrew Bay Saltworks to the Confederacy, acting Master W. R. Browne, commander of the U.S. Restless, was instructed to commence a series of assaults beginning in August 1862. In December 1863, additional Union attacks occurred, which Confederate home guards could not resist. The attacks resulted in the destruction of more than 290 salt works, valued by Master Browne at more than $3,000,000. The St. Andrew Bay Saltwork employees promptly rebuilt them, and they remained in operation through February 1865.

A Florida Heritage Site

 
Erected 2003 by the Sons of Confederate
James R. Asbell Park image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 29, 2008
2. James R. Asbell Park
Veterans, Camp 1319 and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-477.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
 
Location. 30° 9.824′ N, 85° 40.948′ W. Marker is in Panama City, Florida, in Bay County. Marker is at the intersection of West Beach Drive (Business U.S. 98) and East Caroline Boulevard, on the right when traveling south on West Beach Drive. Touch for map. Located in James R. Asbell Park near Lake Caroline. Marker is in this post office area: Panama City FL 32401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Andrew Skirmish (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Christo, Senior (approx. half a mile away); The Old Sentry (approx. 1.1 miles away); Salt Kettle (approx. 1.1 miles away); St. Andrew(s) School (approx. 1.4 miles away); Robert Lee McKenzie's Home and Office (approx. 1 miles away); The Gideon Versus Wainwright Case (approx. 1.6 miles away); Panama City Airport (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Panama City.
 
Also see . . .
1. Florida's Role in the Civil War. Alluded to in the marker text, Florida's major contribution to the Confederacy
Salt Kettle image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 29, 2008
3. Salt Kettle
An original salt kettle used to produce salt from seawater. Fires were stoked under the kettle, and as the water boiled off, salt was left behind.
was supplies such as salt and foodstuffs. (Submitted on June 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. Salt Works near St. Andrew Destroyed. New York Times article detailing one of Browne's raids. (Submitted on June 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,314 times since then and 118 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement