Greeneville in Greene County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Andrew Johnson National Cemetery
Andrew Johnson chose to be buried atop this hill, then known as “Signal Hill,” which he owned. His family members continued to be buried here in the family plot until his great-granddaughter’s interment in 1992. The cemetery became part of Andrew Johnson National Monument in 1942.
The U.S. Army built this lodge based on a prototype design by General Montgomery C. Meigs for military cemeteries. Cemetery caretakers and their families originally lived in the lodge. Today it contains National Park Service administrative offices, and the cemetery’s former stable behind you is now the park’s maintenance area.
“Whereas, by an Act of Congress, approved June 12, 1906, the Secretary of War is hereby authorized to accept, under the will of Martha J. Patterson . . . the tract of land where said Andrew Johnson’s remains now lie, known as ‘Monument Hill.’” Excerpt from Deed Book
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 36° 9.386′ N, 82° 50.236′ W. Marker is in Greeneville, Tennessee, in Greene County. Marker is on Monument Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greeneville TN 37743, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Gettysburg Address (a few steps from this marker); Andrew Johnson and Eliza Johnson Grave Marker (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Andrew Johnson (about 400 feet away); Greene County / Hawkins County (approx. 0.4 miles away); Classic American La France (approx. 0.4 miles away); McKee Street "Flagship of Greeneville Mayoralty" (approx. 0.4 miles away); Andrew Johnson Homestead (approx. 0.4 miles away); Preserving the President’s Legacy (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greeneville.
More about this marker. The right side of the marker contains a post card showing the Entrance to Andrew Johnson National Cemetery, Greenville, Tenn. It has a caption of “This post card shows what the Andrew Johnson National Cemetery looked like soon after it opened in 1908. This active military cemetery continues to serve our nation’s military families. Other than Andersonville, this is the only military cemetery administered by the National Park Service that receives new burials.”
A photo at the lower left of the marker includes the caption, “Workers spread asphalt on the road to Andrew Johnson’s grave. The road was part of a series of improvements made by the War Department when it became the Andrew Johnson National Cemetery in 1906.”
Also see . . .
1. Andrew Johnson National Historic Site. National Park Service website. (Submitted on August 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Biography of Andrew Johnson. The White House website. (Submitted on August 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on March 17, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.