Chambly in La-Vallée-du-Richelieu MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
Canal de Chambly
The Canal, connecting Lake Champlain with the St. Lawrence River, for navigation purposes, was proposed in 1785. Begun in 1831, it was excavated as far as Chambly, but the undertaking was suspended in 1835. Work was resumed in 1841; the locks at Chambly were completed, and, in 1843, the canal opened to navigation.
Ce canal, reliant le lac Champlain au Saint-Laurent pour les fins de la navigation, fut projeté en 1785. Commencé en 1831, il était creusé jusqu'à Chambly quand l'entreprise fut suspendue en 1835. En 1841, les travaux furent repris; on construisit les écluses de Chambly et le canal fut ouvert en 1843.
Erected 1930 by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Location. 45° 26.816′ N, 73° 16.995′ W. Marker is in Chambly, Quebec, in La-Vallée-du-Richelieu MRC. Marker is on Avenue Bourgogne just from Rue Maurice, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1840 Avenue Bourgogne, Chambly, Quebec J3L 1Y8, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General John Thomas (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Fort Chambly Cemetery Fort Chambly (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); St. Stephen's Anglican Church (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Albani (approx. 1.2 kilometers away); Fort Ste. Therese (approx. 5.8 kilometers away); Fort Sainte-Thérèse (approx. 6.7 kilometers away); Second Battle of La Prairie (approx. 11.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chambly.
More about this marker. This marker is in Canal Chambly National Historic Site
Also see . . . Waterway History - Chambly Canal National Historic Site of Canada. ... people started to envision a maritime link bypassing these obstacles. They would have to wait until the 19th century for the building of a navigable waterway to be authorized, linking Lake Champlain and the Chambly basin. Although the government of Lower Canada gave permission for the building of this waterway in 1818, various problems arose and work did not begin until 1831. (Submitted on March 28, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 28, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 263 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 28, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 5. submitted on September 16, 2015. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.