Lewiston in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Underground Railroad Station #6
This sculpture symbolizes the home with the light in the attic and a cast bronze cellar where the slaves were sheltered. Inscribed on it is cryptic correspondence between station captains regarding underground travel.
Location. 43° 10.264′ N, 79° 2.479′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is at the intersection of Cayuga Street and South 5th Street on Cayuga Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the front lawn of the First Presbyterian Church, behind the sculpture. Marker is at or near this postal address: 505 Cayuga Street, Lewiston NY 14092, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Religious Society of Lewiston (a few steps from this marker); The Cibola Anchor (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Long and The Short House (about 600 feet away); Little Yellow House - 1816 (about 700 feet away); 500 Center Street Archaeological Site Kiwanians Promoting Peace (about 700 feet away); Kelsey Tavern (about 700 feet away); Hennepin Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewiston.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. The marker for the 1848 Root House in the adjacent town of Cambria is by a very similar sculpture; an underground railway station sculpture associated to the Castellani Art Museum, Niagara University
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 6, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 6, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.