Founded in 1900 by Judson Moss Bemis, president of Bemis Brothers Bag Company. Bemis was a cotton mill town, planned by Albert Farwell Bemis and renowned architects Andrew Hepburn and Arthur Shurcliff. A self-contained town, Bemis consisted of a four-story mill, worker housing, church, auditorium-theater, schools, company store, YMCA, public bath house, park, post office, and other commercial facilities.
In the 1940s, Bemis' population was approximately 4,000. In June 1968, the company began selling houses. The City of Jackson annexed Bemis on December 29, 1977. Three years later the Bemis Company sold the mill. Bemis ceased being a cotton mill town when the mill closed on August 1, 1991. On December 16, 1991, Bemis was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commision. (Marker Number 4D 55.)
Location. 35° 34.5′ N, 88° 48.9′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Tennessee, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Bemis Lane and South Highland Avenue on Bemis Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson TN 38301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on April 8, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.