Spring Hill in Maury County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Martin Cheairs Home
Headquarters of Confederate General Earl Van Dorn
—April-May, 1863 —
Van Dorn originally established his headquarters as the residence of Dr. Aaron White on modern Duplex Road. Officially because of crowded conditions, but according to local tradition because of improper social activities, Van Dorn moved his headquarters to the larger Martin Cheairs Home in late April.
On May 7, 1864, Dr. George B. Peters, a prominent Spring Hill physician and politician, visited Van Dorn to discuss allegations that Van Dorn had been having an affair with his wife, and possibly with his oldest daughter. Sometime during their interview, Dr. Peters shot Van Dorn in the back of his head with a pistol. Van Dorn died within hours without regaining consciousness, and Dr. Peters was never prosecuted for his actions.
After the war, the Cheairs residence became the Branham-Hughes Military
Mississippi State Archives
Location. 35° 44.941′ N, 86° 55.929′ W. Marker is in Spring Hill, Tennessee, in Maury County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 31) and Ferguson Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5350 Main Street, Spring Hill TN 37174, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Branham and Hughes Military Academy (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Spring Hill, Tennessee ~ November 29, 1864 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Town of Spring Hill, Tennessee (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ewell Farm (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Banks Caperton (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Ewell Farm (approx. half a mile away); Nashville and Decatur Railroad (approx. half a mile away); Left of the Union Defensive Position (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spring Hill.
Categories. • War, Mexican-American • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 320 times since then and 49 times this year. Last updated on April 8, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.