Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Brandy Station in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. James Episcopal Church

 
 
St. James Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Graff, October 19, 2006
1. St. James Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.
Original Site of
St. James
Episcopal Church

1840-1863

 
Location. 38° 31.409′ N, 77° 52.101′ W. Marker is near Brandy Station, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker is on St. James Church Road (Virginia Route 676) 0.2 miles north of Beverly Ford Road (Virginia Route 677), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is 240 feet north of a short gravel road where St. James Church Road curves to a due north direction. It is at the start of a short trail leading to the former site of St. James Church. Marker is in this post office area: Brandy Station VA 22714, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle of Brandy Station (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The 1863-64 Winter Encampment (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The 1863-64 Winter Encampment (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Brandy Station
St. James Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Graff, October 19, 2006
2. St. James Episcopal Church Marker
Start of the trail to the site of the former church.
(approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Brandy Station (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brandy Station.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. See also: Battle of Brandy Station - Confederate Line of Defense at St. James Church"
 
Also see . . .  Contemporary Image of St. James Church at Brandy Station. Before the church was demolished by Federal troops, a US cavalryman sketched the church. A description of the church and its history is also provided. (Submitted on April 9, 2015, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia.) 
 
Additional keywords. Brandy Station, Battle
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
St. James Episcopal Church Site image. Click for full size.
By David Graff, October 19, 2006
3. St. James Episcopal Church Site
Signs around the site indicate the layout of the building looking east. To the left was the vestible and at center was the west wall.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2015, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 9, 2015, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement