Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Murfreesboro in Rutherford County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

1860s View of East Main Street

Rutherford County, Tennessee

 
 
1860s View of East Main Street Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 25, 2013
1. 1860s View of East Main Street Marker
Inscription.
This view of a tree-lined East Main Street was taken from the courthouse cupola by an unknown photographer.

In the left foreground is the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, constructed in 1859. The congregation was unable to complete the interior before the Civil War began and had held services in the basement room. Federal soldiers used the unfinished building as hospital, a barracks, and a prison during the occupation of Murfreesboro.

In the right middle of the photo is the Christian Church, with its tall spire and bell tower. Regimental chaplains from the Union held regular services here as long as the troops remained. Other local denominations also met in this place because many of the county’s churches had been requisitioned for use by the army. The structure’s wartime role as a common preaching place protected it from serious physical abuse.

At the upper left is the three-story brick Union University building, located about a half mile from the courthouse. Although managed by the Missionary Baptists, the name “Union” symbolized the fact that members of any religious denomination could enroll and participate in the institution. Classes were held until the fall of 1861, when officials established a Confederate hospital at the site. Later, Northern soldiers camped on the grounds,
1860s View of East Main Street Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 25, 2013
2. 1860s View of East Main Street Marker
and by the war’s end a number of freed people had taken shelter within the walls. Scavengers removed a considerable amount of building materials during the war. The University reopened briefly in 1869, but closed for good in October 1873.
 
Erected by Rutherford County.
 
Location. 35° 50.756′ N, 86° 23.493′ W. Marker is in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, in Rutherford County. Marker is at the intersection of South Church Street and East Main Street, on the left when traveling north on South Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Pubic Square, Murfreesboro TN 37130, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Forrest's Murfreesboro Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Murfreesboro Confederate Soldiers Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Rutherford County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Morgan's Wedding (within shouting distance of this marker); The Founding of the County (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Murfreesboro (within shouting distance of this marker); General Griffith Rutherford (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murfreesboro.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 40 times this year. Last updated on April 10, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 8, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement