Georgetown in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah
Prince George’s Parish, Winyah, was created March 10, 1721, and the parish church erected on Black River, 1726, at the present Brown’s Ferry. After Prince Frederick’s Parish was formed from Prince George’s, April 9, 1734, the parish church was erected here, 1737–1750. The tower and chancel were added in 1824.
Erected 1941 by (under the auspices of) The Georgetown Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. (Marker Number 22-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 33° 22.104′ N, 79° 16.85′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, South Carolina, in Georgetown County. Marker is on Highmarket Street (U.S. 521) east of Broad Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Broad Street, Georgetown SC 29440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgetown (within shouting distance of this marker); Prince George Winyah Church (within shouting distance of this marker); William Doyle Morgan House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Only Colonial Banking House in America Beth Elohim Cemetery (about 600 feet away); Georgetown County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Bethel Church (about 600 feet away); Methodists (about 700 feet away); Screven Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Joseph Hayne Rainey (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Regarding Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah. The parish of Prince George Winyah was taken off from St. James’ Santee Parish by Act of Assembly, March 10, 1721. “In 1721 the Parish of Prince George, Winyah, was established, bounded on the S.W. by Santee River, on the N.E. by the Cape Fear River, on the East by the Ocean, and on the West ‘as far as it shall be inhabited by his Majesty’s subjects’.”
—Statutes, vol. 3, p. 171.
Also see . . .
1. Prince George Winyah Episcopal Church. (Submitted on April 27, 2008.)
2. Prince George's Parish Church. Prince George, Winyah Parish, among the oldest parishes in South Carolina, was formed in 1721. Its church possesses a handsome (Submitted on April 9, 2017, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Additional keywords. Winyah Bay
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,171 times since then and 28 times this year. Last updated on April 17, 2015, by Sharon F. Corey of Pawleys Island, South Carolina. Photos: 1. submitted on April 27, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 2. submitted on April 9, 2017, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3, 4. submitted on April 27, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.