Pigeon Island, Gros Islet, Saint Lucia — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
The heaviest gun on Pigeon Island was sited here. It was a 32-pounder which could be turned from north to south to cover the St. Lucia Channel and Gros Islet Bay. The gun was used effectively in 1781 to repel the French invasion of Gros Islet.
Look for Martinique to the north, visible on clear days.
Erected by Saint Lucia National Trust.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 14° 5.528′ N, 60° 57.948′ W. Marker was in Pigeon Island, Gros Islet. Touch for map. This marker is at the Pigeon Island National Landmark, on the path up to Signal Peak from the Musket Redoubt. Marker was in this post office area: Pigeon Island, Gros Islet LC01 101, Saint Lucia.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Musket Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Signal Station (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Josset's House (about 150 meters away); Fort Rodney (about 150 meters away); Gunslide (about 150 meters away); Carib Caves (about 180 meters away); Lime Kiln (about 180 meters away); Cooperage (about 240 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pigeon Island.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 366 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 3. submitted on April 22, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.