Pigeon Island, Gros Islet, Saint Lucia — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
Pigeon Island, only some 40 kilometres (25 miles) south of the French base at Fort Royal, Martinique, had long been recognized by the British Admiral Rodney as an important observation and defensive site. In 1780 he wrote ”…this is the post the Governor of Martinique had set his eye on and if possessed by the enemy would deprive us of the best anchorage place in these islands and from which Martinique is always attackable…”
Fort Rodney was built in 1778 with an armament of three 24-pounders and two eleven and a half inch mortars. The cannons sat on timbers on the cobblestone platform, and the platform also served as a water catchment as you can see by the little drain around the walls that runs into the well. Water was used on the gun platform to swab the hot cannons and to remove gunpowder that did not ignite. For drinking, the water was filtered through a 3-gallon limestone filter. Next to the well you can see the powder magazine, a cool underground chamber where the gunpowder was kept.
Look for St. Lucia and the Pitons to the south-east, and on a clear day, Martinique to the north.
Erected by Saint Lucia National Trust.
Location. 14° 5.48′ N, 60° 58.009′ Touch for map. This marker is at Fort Rodney. Marker is in this post office area: Pigeon Island, Gros Islet LC01 101, Saint Lucia.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S. Signal Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Musket Redoubt (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Carib Caves (about 120 meters away); Josset's House (about 180 meters away); Gunslide (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Lime Kiln (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Cooperage (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); C.O.'s Quarters (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pigeon Island.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 351 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.