Pigeon Island, Gros Islet, Saint Lucia — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
The most intensive period of British occupation on Pigeon Island was from 1779 to 1783. The lime kiln was one of the first structures built.
Lime was used as a binding agent for all masonry work. White lime was made from coral and shell which was piled up and set on fire. The lime turned to powder and mixed with the ash. The mixture was then pulled out with a hoe, and mixed with sand, water, egg and straw to form the binding agent.
The original steps of the lime kiln were probably modified when Josset Legh converted it to a small cabin, known as Cob’s Roost in the 1950s.
Erected by Saint Lucia National Trust.
Location. 14° 5.536′ N, 60° 57.845′ W. Marker is in Pigeon Island, Gros Islet. Touch for map. This marker is at the Pigeon Island National Landmark, on the beachfront trail towards the Carib Caves. Marker is in this post office area: Pigeon Island, Gros Islet LC01 101, Saint Lucia.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cooperage (within shouting distance of this marker); C.O.'s Quarters (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Gunslide (about 120 meters away); Josset's House (about 180 meters away); Soldiers' Quarters (about 180 meters away); Musket Redoubt (about 210 meters away); Two-Gun Battery (about 240 meters away); Officers' Kitchen (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pigeon Island.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.