Dover in Stewart County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Confederates built the fort to protect upper and lower batteries along the Cumberland River from land attack. The fort, however, never came under direct land attack. All fighting, except for the ironclad gunboat attacks on the river batteries, took place in the outer defense lines.
Brigadier General Daniel S. Donelson
the man for whom the fort was named, participated in the original 1861 survey that selected the sites for both Forts Henry and Donelson.
Erected by Fort Donelson National Battlefield - National Park Service - Department of the Interior.
Location. 36° 29.444′ N, 87° 51.405′ W. Marker is in Dover, Tennessee, in Stewart County. Marker is on Fort Donelson Park Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Located at stop two in Fort Donelson National Battlefield. Marker is in this post office area: Dover TN 37058, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Fort Donelson (here, next to this marker); Quarters for the Troops (approx. 0.2 miles away); Life at Fort Donelson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stankiewicz's Battery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Powder Magazine (approx. ¼ mile away); With Admirable Precision (approx. ¼ mile away); Gun Positions (approx. ¼ mile away); The Upper Water Battery (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 447 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on May 4, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 18, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.