Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Blountville in Sullivan County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Acuff Chapel

 
 
Acuff Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, July 15, 2011
1. Acuff Chapel Marker
Inscription. Established in 1786, this was the first Methodist Episcopal Church to be erected on Tennessee soil. Bishop Francis Asbury preached here often. A ten-day revival held here by Rev. John A. Granade began the Great Revival of 1780-81. The chapel was named for Timothy Acuff, who gave the land on which it as erected, and whose son, Rev. Francis Acuff, was a convert at the Granade Meeting.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1A 51.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
 
Location. 36° 32.067′ N, 82° 21.647′ W. Marker is near Blountville, Tennessee, in Sullivan County. Marker is on Memorial Boulevard (State Road 126) 0.7 miles west of Barr Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blountville TN 37617, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Taylor’s Meeting House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Battle of Blountville (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Blountville (approx. 1.9 miles away); Sullivan County
Wide view of the Acuff Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, July 15, 2011
2. Wide view of the Acuff Chapel Marker
(approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Blountville (approx. 1.9 miles away); Old Deery Inn (approx. 1.9 miles away); Island Road (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named Old Deery Inn (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blountville.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion
 
Acuff Chapel (1786) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, July 15, 2011
3. Acuff Chapel (1786)
Restored by the Holston Conference Historical Society, in 1962, it contains much of the timber from the original structure.
Acuff Chapel (1786) and Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, July 15, 2011
4. Acuff Chapel (1786) and Cemetery
Many of the Acuff family members are buried here including; Timothy (1732-1823) and Rev Francis Acuff.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 560 times since then and 69 times this year. Last updated on May 5, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 8, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement