Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
A Moving Symbol
Here was lighted the torch of liberty for all America…
For you this is the most hallowed shrine in this country. Henry McDonald, Storer College president
The foundations in front of you mark a temporary site of John Brown’s Fort, from 1895 to 1909. Originally located in Harpers Ferry, the fort was moved four times in 75 years. Entrepreneurs dismantled it and then rebuilt it on location at the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago. After the exhibition, journalist Kate Field saved the fort from demolition by raising the funds to move it here to Murphy Farm. In 1901 Storer College President Henry McDonald brought the fort to the college’s Harpers Ferry campus. After the closing of Storer College the National Park Service returned the fort near its original location in Harpers Ferry (lower town), where it stands today.
Erected by Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Location. 39° 18.481′ N, 77° 45.703′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from Murphy Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located on the Murphy Farm trail in the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pilgrimage (here, next to this marker); Holy Ground (here, next to this marker); The Murphy Farm (within shouting distance of this marker); Mountains, Men, and Maneuvers (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sheridan Dug In (about 800 feet away); The Fate of Harpers Ferry was sealed. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Struggle to the Heights (approx. ¼ mile away); Home Becomes Battlefield (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a photo of John Brown’s Fort at the Murphy Farm location.
On the left side of the marker is a background sketch of John Brown and several of his followers barricaded in the “fort”. The caption reads: “In 1859 abolitionist John Brown led his famous raid against slavery on the U.S. Armory and was captured in the fire engine house—now known as John Brown’s Fort.”
On the right side of the marker is a photo of Kate Field
Also see . . . John Brown Fort. National Park Service page detailing the history of the "fort." (Submitted on June 13, 2008.)
Categories. • African Americans • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,772 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 13, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.